Community Housing

General Info For Tenants

Community Housing Tenants are encouraged to read both the Tenancy Management Policy and Procedures and the Community Housing Tenant Handbook.


All maintenance issues should be reported by contacting Anglicare on 02 6645 1244 and we will organise someone to fix the problem. If Anglicare staff can’t be reached and the problem is urgent, tenants may contact the approved emergency tradesperson directly for urgent maintenance. Urgent maintenance includes

– Electrical danger

– Gas leaks

– Flooding

– Sewerage overflow

– Blocked toilet if there is only one in property

– Major water leak internally

– Failed external locks

– Fallen tree causing service disruption

Further details of how we respond to urgent and non-urgent repairs are available in the Tenants Handbook.

In most cases, the costs of repairs will be paid for by Anglicare North Coast, unless the damage was caused by the occupants. Please report the incident to Anglicare on (0409) 919 654 as soon as possible. 

Accounts / Finances

  • Rental Calculations: All rent is calculated in accordance with the NSW Community Housing Rental Policy.
  • Centrepay Deductions: For tenants who receive Centrelink benefits, rent will be paid through a Centrepay deduction process set up through Anglicare North Coast at the commencement of the tenancy. This means that every fortnight the rent will be automatically deducted from the Centrelink payment. A similar system is in place for recipients of income from the Department of Veteran Affairs. An alternative method is used for tenants with alternate sources of income.
  • Water rates: For properties with individual water metres, all water usage charges will be paid for by the tenant.
  • Electricity & Telephone: All account payments, connection and disconnections regarding utilities are the responsibility of the tenant.
Anglicare North Coast Family Learning & Education

General Issues

  • Pets and Animals: No animals will be allowed on the premises unless pre approved in writing, and if it can be demonstrated that having a pet is essential to your health and wellbeing. (A letter from your GP may be requested to support your request).
  • Rent reviews and Property inspections: Anglicare conducts regular property inspections, and reviews of income for rent. This generally occurs twice a year (or at other times as deemed necessary). You will be contacted in writing when this is to occur.
  • Newsletters: Anglicare sends out a newsletter periodically to inform tenants of any relevant issues and changes. Furthermore, Anglicare North Coast has regular articles in the North Coast Anglican, a bi-monthly newspaper for the Anglican Diocese of Grafton. Any tenants who would like a copy of this newspaper should contact Community Housing staff on 02 6645 1244 and a free copy will be sent out.
  • Tenant Meetings: Anglicare North Coast conducts tenant meetings periodically to enable tenants the opportunity to discuss issues relating to their tenancy and to enable Anglicare to inform tenants of any relevant changes.
  • Garbage Recycling: Most local Councils have strict rules regarding recycling. Tenants are requested to follow the guidelines listed on the garbage bins as to the disposal of rubbish and to ensure that bins are placed out on the appropriate day for rubbish collection.
  • Water Restrictions: It is important that tenants make themselves aware of any water restriction imposed by local authorities and ensure any rules are obeyed.
  • Noise and Disturbances: Noise which would disturb the peace, privacy and wellbeing of other residents will not be accepted. This applies to tenants and their visitors and includes raised voices, loud music and the banging of doors etc. Residential Tenancy Agreements may be terminated for failure to comply.
  • Alcohol and Drugs: Alcohol is not to be consumed in the common areas of any Community Housing complexes. The use of illegal drugs or use of any Community Housing facility for illegal activities will not be tolerated and will result in referral to the Police and generally to the termination of the tenancy.

Complaints & Appeals

  • Anglicare North Coast recognises that people who use our services from time to time may be unhappy with the service, standards, practices and policies of Anglicare North Coast.
  • We will listen and respond to anyone who wishes to complain about Anglicare North Coast services, or to appeal a decision made by us. To understand how we will handle your complaint, please refer to our Complaints and Appeals Policy and Guidelines Copies are also available in each Anglicare North Coast Office along with an Information Brochure.
  • Community Housing Tenants may take the following steps:
    1. Step 1: Contact Anglicare North Coast Community Housing and talk to the Coordinator about the situation that you are not happy about. In many cases this may be all that is needed to resolve the conflict.
    2. Step 2: If the situation is still unresolved you should again contact Anglicare North Coast Community Housing and ask to have a “How to Complain Information Pack” sent out to you. This will explain details of what should be done next to have any concerns heard.
  • Community Housing has Policy and Procedures available for tenants to view in each Anglicare North Coast Office.